Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Monday Meditation #050310: No Fear

Focusing on a prayer every week has brought me a lot of peace and opened me up to some wonderful conversations about prayer and spiritualized living.  Usually this post is on a Monday, but, I was up late on the phone talking to my mother about our favorite prayers and I think I JUST recovered from my 48-hours of film-making.  (REMINDER: Straight No Chaser's film shows at AFI on Friday night.  We are in GROUP H. Buy your tickets early they sell out fast.  We killed it! Come see it! http://www.48hourfilm.com/dc/


My mother loves the Psalms and I can see why.  They are beautifully written and you can find a psalm for any time and any situation.  Recently, I manifested a new job and experienced a little trepidation about moving on.  That's when I had to go back to an old standard.  


Psalms 27 has always been my FAVORITE Psalm.  When I needed to be reminded of my direction against adversity or in the winds of change- it is in Psalms 27 that I find solace and clarity.  Right now, we need to be courageous and speak up for our selves and our future in so many ways.  Whether it is about the environment, injustice, or just day to day living - we all need a shot of courage to move forward.  Here is what's in my glass.  I have posted two versions here.  Enjoy.




Psalm 27 (King James Version)

 1The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
 2When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
 3Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
 4One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
 5For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
 6And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.
 7Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
 8When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
 9Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
 10When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.
 11Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
 12Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
 13I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
 14Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.



Psalm 27 (New Living Translation)

 1 The Lord is my light and my salvation—
      so why should I be afraid?
   The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
      so why should I tremble?
 2 When evil people come to devour me,
      when my enemies and foes attack me,
      they will stumble and fall.
 3 Though a mighty army surrounds me,
      my heart will not be afraid.
   Even if I am attacked,
      I will remain confident. 
4 The one thing I ask of the Lord
      the thing I seek most—
   is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
      delighting in the Lord’s perfections
      and meditating in his Temple.
 5 For he will conceal me there when troubles come;
      he will hide me in his sanctuary.
      He will place me out of reach on a high rock.
 6 Then I will hold my head high
      above my enemies who surround me.
   At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy,
      singing and praising the Lord with music.
 7 Hear me as I pray, O Lord.
      Be merciful and answer me!
 8 My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.”
      And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.”
 9 Do not turn your back on me.
      Do not reject your servant in anger.
      You have always been my helper.
   Don’t leave me now; don’t abandon me,
      O God of my salvation!
 10 Even if my father and mother abandon me,
      the Lord will hold me close.
 11 Teach me how to live, O Lord.
      Lead me along the right path,
      for my enemies are waiting for me.
 12 Do not let me fall into their hands.
      For they accuse me of things I’ve never done;
      with every breath they threaten me with violence.
 13 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness
      while I am here in the land of the living.
 14 Wait patiently for the Lord.
      Be brave and courageous.
      Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment